Now I’m sure all of you know by now that I love lemon (I mean, come on, it’s my logo), and another favourite fruit of mine is avocado (Exhibits A, B, and C). I recently made mint lemon granita but didn’t blog it because I was sans-camera at a friend’s house, and OH MY GOD. Granita, be still my heart. It is possibly my most favourite thing ever now. But I hereby introduce you to my latest granita with my third favourite fruit: Pink Grapefruit Granita. This stuff is life-changing, man.
Pink Grapefruit Granita, how would I describe you? You are bright, you are delicious, you are refreshing on a hot summer day.
You only have two ingredients, and all the equipment you need to make it is a fork, a freezer, and a 9×13 cake pan.
Because Italians know where it’s at, sweet, simple, and delicious.
And when I ran out of ice for my long island iced tea, I added a scoop of you and it rocked my world. Excuse me while I go make some more. I used 3 grapefruits and made a mini batch in an hour for myself. Too delicious.
Recipe from David Lebovitz’ The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
- - 4 cups grapefruit juice (I used 5 large grapefruits)
- - ¾ cup white sugar
- Juice your grapefruits, also make space in your freezer for a 9x13 baking sheet to lie flat.
- Either using a small saucepan, or a microwaveable glass container, heat up 1 cup grapefruit juice and ¾ cup sugar at 30 second intervals until the sugar has dissolved (stirring between intervals).
- Once the sugar has dissolved, combine the sugar grapefruit syrup and the rest of the grapefruit juice.
- Transfer to the 9x13 baking sheet, and freeze for 30 minute intervals, using a fork to scrape and break up the ice pieces until it resembles glittery, shaved ice. This may take 3-4 hours depending on the strength of your freezer.
- Serve immediately, because if left in the freezer for long without some scraping/breaking up with a fork, the pieces will stick together and you'll kind of have frozen chunks of shaved ice. (Plus, my batch barely lasted that long anyway).