Mothers and grandmothers are amazing. Seasoned bakers who learned from their moms whom learned from their moms often know recipes and the order in which they go like they know how to breathe. They don’t think about it, and they don’t really measure that precisely. It’s a few cups of this, a couple dashes of that, and a splash of that. It’s actually really cool to see an experienced baker at work. I, on the other hand, have to research how to make things by watching various videos and reading blogs. Not that I’m experienced now, but after all the baking and research that I’ve done, I can usually feel and know whether or not cake batter/cookie dough is thick or thin enough. And usually when things are in the oven, I sometimes get that “Eureka” moment where I smell when something is ready.
I’ve never made a classic pie like this before, but it’s pretty easy! It’s just mixing a pile of fruit, sugar and flour into a pie shell and baking it until peak deliciousness. Apparently peach is the new trendy flavour, right after blueberry pomegranate and salted caramel. I have no problem with that, especially since peaches are in season right now. Soft, ripe and juicy! If you have peaches that are ripe enough, you won’t need as much sugar in the recipe.
The flour creates kind of a thick consistency, and the butter adds a creaminess to it. I love the big chunks of peaches and the pie crust is super delicious and flaky, especially with the lovely crispy parts from the sugar and milk wash. I’m really excited to try other pie recipes, like strawberry rhubarb. MY FAVOURITE PIE FILLING.
In other news, I’m also going to National Music Camp as music staff and camp counselor for about two weeks starting this Saturday. So I’m going to be a little AWOL again, especially because I’m moving to Toronto immediately afterwards. HOWEVER, I have stockpiled two pretty awesome posts for you guys, and I have a third one that isn’t really as awesome—actually it was kind of a fail— but you folks seem to like reading about my failures. So I’ll let you guys see it =P
- Your favourite pie crust recipe
- 8 cups of peaches, peeled and sliced (chunky slices)
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar for sprinkling
- (Preheat oven to 420F)
- Roll out the bottom half of the pie shell and gently lay onto the pie pan.
- Combine the peaches, flour, sugar, and vanilla together and put in pie crust.
- Dot the top of the mixture with little chunks of unsalted butter.
- Cover with top of the pie shell, pinching the sides so none of the juices can escape. Make sure you poke holes in the top of the pie so that the steam can come out when baking (and then your pie won’t explooode)
- Complete with a milk wash and a light dusting of sugar on top.
- Bake at 420F for about 15-20 minutes, then lower the oven to 350F and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. You may need to turn your pie in the oven to get an evening browning.
- Let rest for about 15 minutes, and then dig in!