Have I ever told you folks why I bake? I bake because it’s how I deal with stress. It’s funny, you’d think that if I had all the time in the world, I would bake more. That’s actually when I bake the least. Now that I’ve graduated, I’ve had a bit of a hard time trying to find a job. With a degree under my belt, I was gung-ho about becoming a real, live, paid translator. But alas, everybody needs 3-5 years experience and frankly, I’m fresh out of university and I’ve only got about a year or two’s worth. So all this running around trying to find work is making me feel a might stressed, so I bring you cookies! These were inspired by Accidentally Domesticated’s post on Dark Chocolate Cookies. Her cookies looked so freaking good I had to try a batch myself. These cookies are almost like brownies, except with lovely surprise pockets of salty goodness.
They’re soft, moist, and decadent. A glass of milk is pretty much a necessity, even for all the chocolate lovers out there. A whopping 20 oz of chocolate is divided evenly among two dozen cookies, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. The salt brings out the chocolate flavour so much, it just makes it that much more divine. If any of you are fans of Modern Family, you’ll remember the scene where Gloria’s trying not to admit the wonders of adding a pinch of salt to chocolate milk to Manny’s lady friend. Lo and behold, salt and chocolate are meant to be the best of friends, just like peanut butter and chocolate.
Some of you may have also noticed the Certified Yummly badge on the sidebar of my home page. Yesterday I got a pingback saying that I was linked on the Yummly blog and I saw it and promptly did a little dance. My roommate was a little alarmed. I later got an email saying that I was Certified Yummly!
Another thing I realized today was that there’s a little sheltered part between the back door and the stairs from my apartment that is absolutely perfect for pictures. It’s covered enough that any harsh lighting won’t cast huge shadows, but there are cracks between the wooden panels that allow just enough lighting to give me shots like that one *points up*. I’M SO HAPPY. This is going to be a great summer.
- 8 oz (225 g) semi-sweet chocolate, coarse chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp fleur de sel + more for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz (340 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Melt 8 oz chopped chocolate with 4 tbsp butter in a double boiler until smooth and melted.
- Add flour, fleur de sel, and baking powder and mix until incorporated.
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat eggs with the sugar and vanilla until the sugar is incorporated (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the flour and chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining 12 oz of chocolate chips.
- Spoon out heaping tablespoons of the cookie dough on a lined cookie sheet.
Sprinkle with fleur de sel and bake for about 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Remove when the cookies have baked out and cracked a little. Let sit for a minute or two then remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- Nom with a glass of cold milk. OMNOMNOM. So good.