Lately I’ve been in a candy-making mood, and again, I saw this delicious looking recipe from vanilla and lace, the same blog that had the salt water taffy recipe. I’m not sure why I’m making so much candy though, I’m not really in the mood to eat it. Actually I ate about 10 of the salt water taffies and I still kind of want more. Is that bad?
1 9×9 pan line with parchment paper that has been lightly buttered
lots of waxed paper to wrap the caramels. I cut these into 2×4 inch pieces because the caramels were longer
1. In a large pot (I made the mistake of using a small one, but then had to transfer to a larger one), mix sugar, corn syrup, salt, and one cup cream over medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. Once the mixture is boiling (this may take a while, don’t adjust the heat, just let it happen =P), add the remaining cream in a slow trickle so that the mixture doesn’t cool from the addition of the cream.
3. Reduce heat to medium low, and let boil WITHOUT STIRRING for about 5 minutes. I used this time to measure 5 tbsp of butter. (I used my homemade stuff so it was a little difficult for me to get the butter cause my apartment was rather frigid and made it all hard and difficult-like)
4. Add one tbsp of butter at a time, and don’t stir it in until the butter has melted. Do this until all butter is incorporated.
5. Use the candy thermometre to cook to 250F or until the mixture reaches the firm ball stage, stirring occasionally. Don’t be a chicken like me and only cook to the soft-ball stage. My caramels are SUUUUUPER soft.
6. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, then pour mixture into prepared 9×9 pan. Let cool on a wire rack.
7. When the caramel is room temperature, cut into 1 cm x 5 cm pieces (that’s what I did anyway) and wrap with waxed paper. Use a sharp, buttered/greased knife. Especially if you find that your caramels are gooey like mine, but hopefully that is not the case.
8. Store in a air-tight container in cool place. This should keep for 1-2 weeks.
9. Brush your teeth vigorously and floss.
I will NOT be responsible for any cavities. Especially after the taffy AND the caramels. =P